Thursday, July 7, 2011

Cubs

Being a Cubs fan really sucks.

I realize this is not earth-shattering news.


I've been through '89, '03, '07, '08 and all of the crappy regular seasons in between.  I'm too young to remember '84, and that's probably a good thing from what I've heard not to mention the clips I've seen.

BTW, '03 wasn't Bartman's fault, and anyone who thinks so can go jump off a cliff.  Seriously.

This year's team is arguably the worst, although there are many contenders.  MANY contenders.....

I should also mention that I am also a major New York Yankees fan.....and have been for a long time.  I am not a bandwagon jumper by any means, unlike all those jackasses you see wearing Red Sox hats.  I HATE the Red Sox.  HATE.

In my lifetime, I've been able to see the Yankees achieve massive success, winning 5 rings and being in the playoffs ever year starting with '95 with the exception of '08 (the last year in old Yankee Stadium) and have seen them build a brand new Yankee Stadium that opened in '09.  The new place is great but it'll never replace the greatness of the old Yankee Stadium in my heart.  

You could say I root for the opposite ends of the spectrum.  And you would be correct.

I want greatness for the Cubs.  As much as I love the Yankees, they aren't a "home town" team considering that I live in Chicagoland.  Everyone here for the most part is a Cubs or White Sox fan.  I've got no one to root for the Yankees with here, which sucks.

I should point out that I have nothing against the White Sox whatsoever, I have loads of friends that are White Sox fans and I personally rooted for them in '05 and was very happy that they won the World Series......and not just because they beat the hated Houston Astros.

Cubs fans keep showing up to Wrigley, which is something that doesn't surprise me and also surprises me at the same time.  Wrigley Field is the largest beer garden in the world, so naturally people (not Cubs fans, PEOPLE) want to go hang out there.  But the team, for the most part, has been terrible every year.  Die-hard Cubs fans don't go to Wrigley anymore, only the party animals.

And that's sad.

I hope the Cubs turn things around, but it's been a very long time.  Although, if the stupid Red Sox can win a World Series after choking it away several times, maybe the Cubs can too.....but I'm not holding my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment